Besides eyeliner and mascara, a pretty lip is a must for a put together look. A beautiful lip brightens your smile and draws people in. It gives an inner confidence that is felt by those around us. The key is to find the right shade that compliments your coloring AND makes a statement at the same time. The color can be a subtle nude or a bold shade—both can have the same gorgeous impact.
First Up – Lip Prep:
Whether you are going for a bold lip or just rocking a natural look, it is important to make sure your lips are soft and smooth. You should apply a lip scrub occasionally, and a lip balm regularly. A gentle exfoliation & conditioning can do wonders for your lip health and we have just the product – Sugar Lip Polish by Fresh. Sugar Lips removes the flakes with sugar crystals, and blankets your lips with shea butter and jojoba oil to maintain moisture for hours. Lips are left feeling hydrated and incredibly smooth.
Your lip balm doesn’t need to be expensive; it just needs to moisturize. So a balm of cocoa butter, petroleum jelly, or an oil of some kind will do the trick. I love a pocket version because I can place them all around me (my purse, my car, my desk, my kitchen junk drawer, next to my bed etc.)
Now it’s time for the fun, but sometimes daunting part—choosing a lip color. Some women have a signature color that they wear most of the time, while other change their lip color daily. The important thing to remember: select a rich color that stays on and looks fresh. As I said before, a rich color doesn’t have to be bold (it can be a nude), but it MUST be a saturated version of your favorite hue. I think of a new lipstick like an accessory—it can provide the same finishing touch as a necklace or a great pair of earrings. Here are some of our favorites!
A touch of nude lipstick is a simple way to look like you made some effort. Make sure you don’t choose a shade that clashes with your skin tone; you will look like an older, tired version of yourself. Just remember don’t go too light, or too opaque, or too beige. The perfect nude makes your face look fresh and youthful.
I love a bit of color! I like to think of it as more my everyday look. Choose a shade that complements your coloring. Being fair skinned, I tend to think a nude washes me out, so a bit of color is my look. I stay away from coral and lean more towards a light-pinkish-raspberry (how is that for a a description?) Think fashion. Does a blue pink look better on you than a salmon pink? Your lip color should follow that same rule.
A bold lip can transform your entire face. Even if you are rocking a simple outfit, a precise colorful saturated lip can provide just the right amount of glam. Do remember, a bold pucker may require a bit more maintenance. Oh, and it’s ok to bring a little attitude to go with those sassy lips.
4 TIPS TO MAKE YOUR LIPSTICK LAST:
- Prime & Prep – Before applying color, you might want to prep your lips with a primer.
- Line & Fill – The trick is in applying lip liner correctly. Don’t overdo it! Line and fill in the lips completely with a liner. Also, make sure that your liner works with your lipstick. Nothing is worse than seeing all liner and no lip color.
- Apply & Blot – If you are looking for staying power use a matte finish. If your matte is too matte, swipe a little gloss on top.
- Set with a Powder – Set your lip color with a translucent powder (a tiny bit goes a long way.)
– Colorless base for lip color that primes, hydrates, and reduces feathering and fading. (Also can be used as a night time conditioning treatment.)
– After applying your lipstick, blot with a tissue. Next, place the tissue over your lips. Use a setting powder and a fluffy blush brush, lightly tap the powder onto the tissue.
(We have tried to make it easy for you – everything can be clicked and shipped from Amazon, Target and Nordstrom.)